Second Federal, located in Chicago’s Little Village, began providing banking services to immigrants in 1882. The project consists of renovations to an existing,1-storybank building, approximately6,625SF with six(6) existing Drive-Thru lanes, ATMs, and associated minor site work.
When the local population shifted from European to Latino, many banks left. But Second Federal stayed and helped its new customers thrive—until the housing crisis threatened massive foreclosures. Second Federal merged with Self-Help Federal Credit Union in 2013, when the foreclosure crisis threatened to close down Second Federal and leave hundreds of its customers without a home. This is the story of the resilience of this community and the remarkable trust that is Second Federal’s legacy.
Client: Self-Help Federal Credit Union
Category: Community / Financial