Location - Client
– Over 200 apartments for the Loop’s workforce earning minimum wage to $75,000 per year
– Collaboration, meeting and event space, the NeighborHub, for nonprofit neighborhood organizations throughout Chicago
– A food hall showcasing a diverse mix of small, minority-owned restaurants throughout Chicago
– Health and wellness features emphasizing preventative care, healthy foods, fitness, and mental well-being
– An improved public park that reinvigorates State Street though the celebration of Chicago’s diverse neighborhoods and the creation of active and passive spaces that bring Chicagoans from different walks of life together.
– An integrated approach to sustainability and resiliency that achieves carbon neutrality, minimizes waste, promotes biodiversity, and provides in the NeighborHub an on-site forum to advance sustainability and community development efforts throughout Chicago and the world.
The project is located in Chicago’s Loop, on the corner of Van Buren and Plymouth Court, immediately neighboring classic city assets such as the Fisher Building, Pritzker Park, and Harold Washington Library. Assemble Chicago’s design introduces a new multi-level public base to create a vibrant community presence on the ground plane. While the building’s overall scale matches those of the surrounding buildings, the NeighborHub’s articulated base breaks up the buildings mass to create an accessible, human-scale presence at the ground plane. This base seamlessly weaves together with an invigorated Pritzker Park to create welcoming, flexible public spaces for people from across the City to engage, interact, and connect. Providing indoor and outdoor recreational, wellness, professional, and cultural resources for groups from around the city, the NeighborHub is a highly accessible civic asset that enhances the public realm for visitors, offers new programmable spaces for neighboring cultural and educational institutions, provides space for Assemble Chicago’s residents to connect, and imbues new life to one of Chicago’s oldest neighborhoods.